544 total views, 1 views today
Scientific Agriculture Publications:
- Bravo, M. A., A. DiTommaso and D. Hayes. 2012. Exotic Plant Inventory, Landscape Survey and Invasiveness Assessment: Roosevelt Vanderbilt National Historic Sites. Hyde Park, NY. HortTechnology (22)5:682-69: http://horttech.ashspublications.org/content/22/5/682.full
Department of Agriculture Grant Funded Projects:
- Proposed Revision Noxious Weed And Restricted Plant Act. An Act relating to noxious weeds and restricted plants; creating a Noxious Weed Control Committee and defining its powers and duties; imposing powers and duties on the Secretary of Agriculture and municipalities; providing penalties; and making a repeal. Last amended: April 7, 1982, P.L. 228, No. 74. PA Dept. of Agric., Harrisburg, PA.
- Invaders in the Commonwealth. PA Invasive Species Management Plan. http://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plants_Land_Water/PlantIndustry/GISC/Documents/Five-Year%20Plan%2009.19.17.pdf
- Giant Hogweed and Goatsrue Federal Noxious Weed Program Manager: ($70,000+). The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and USDA joint program for the eradication of the federal noxious weeds Heracleum mantegazzianum and Galega officinalis. Team Members: Annual Field Staff – (3); Office Staff (1); Grant Funding and Administrative Support (4); Landowners (600+).
- Pilot Kudzu State Eradication Program: ($50,000+). A 3 year pilot program to assist property owners with management, control and eradication of kudzu, a state noxious weed of limited distribution. Team Members: Annual Field Staff – (3); Office Staff (1); Grant Funding and Administrative Support (4); Landowners (114+); grant match cooperators (12+).
- Mile-a-minute Management Plan for Sinnemahonning State Park. ($25,000+). Formation of a cooperative weed management area to control the state noxious weed polygonum perfoliatium in Cameron and Potter counties in North-central PA. Team Members: Annual Field Staff – (3); Office Staff (1); Grant Funding and Administrative Support (4); Landowners (80+) Team Members: Annual Field Staff – (3); Office Staff (1); Grant Funding and Administrative Support (4); Landowners (114+); grant match cooperators (25+).
- State Gameland 252 Union County Cooperative Weed Management Project. ($13,000). A Pennsylvania Game Commission and US Fish and Wildlife Services effort to educate students in the identification, control, and assessment of invasive species in for Woodrush, wren and other desirable species habitat restoration. Team Members: Annual Field Staff – (0); Office Staff (0); Grant Funding and Administrative Support (4); Landowners (3+); grant match cooperators (6+).
- Pennsylvania Invasive Species Council: Interim coordinator (2005-2008) for the Pennsylvania Invasive Species Council, and Chair of the Terrestrial Work Group. Coordinated the efforts of the Feral Swine Task Force and publication of the Feral Swine Management Plan; lead a work group to develop the state invasive species website. Team Members: Council Committee members (30+); Office Staff (1); Grant Funding and Administrative Support (6); grant match cooperators (50+)
- Northeastern Weed Science Society Secretary/Treasurer: Bonded officer (2008-2012) with Northeastern Weed Science Society. Responsible for all financial and administrative duties of the non-profit educational society including yearly federal non-profit tax reporting. Managed membership and conference registration enrollment for the society’s annual conference ($76,000); coordinated the staffing, facility contract, course development and course logistics for the 2008 and 2009 Noxious and Invasive Vegetation Short Course ($68,000).
- Bravo, M.A., J. Zoschg Jr., and I. Bowers. 2012. Federal Noxious Weed Programs in Pennsylvania and Surrounding States. Proc. WSSA: 52:403.
- Bravo, M.A. 2007- 2012. Updating Township Noxious Weed Ordinances. Pennsylvania Association of Township Supervisors. Hershey Convention Center, Hershey, PA.
- Bravo, M.A. 2005-2012. Federal and State Noxious Weed Updates and Identification and Distribution. PennDot Regional Road Side Vegetation Management Trainings. State-wide.
- Bravo, M.A. and J. Zoschg Jr., 2011. Detection of Significant Goatsrue Infestation in McKean County, Pennsylvania. Proc. WSSA: 51:154.
- Bravo, M.A, J. Zoschg Jr., and C. Johnson 2011. CWMA Formation in Response to Mile A Minute in Northern Pennsylvania. Proc. NEWSS: 65.
- Bowers, I.D., M.A Bravo, and J. Zoschg Jr., 2011. Improving Survey Methods for the Detection of Giant Hogweed in Pennsylvania. Proc. NEWSS: 65.
- Bravo, M.A. and J. Miller. 2010. Kudzu Eradication Program in Pennsylvania. Proc. NEWSS: 64.
- Bravo, M.A. 2010. Northeastern Weed Science Society Noxious and Invasive Vegetation Short Course. Gretna Glen Retreat, Lebanon, PA. Proc. NEWSS: 64.
- Bravo, M.A. 2009. Next Generation Biofuel Crops in the Chesapeake Bay Region: Addressing the Concern: Nontraditional crop species escaping cultivation and becoming invasive in the region as a result of biofuel production practices: A right crop on the right acreage approach. Report to the Chesapeake Bay Commission- Biofuels Task Force.
- Walter, A.S., M.A. Bravo, D. Eggen, and S. Whitney. 2009. Invaders in the Commonwealth. Pennsylvania Invasive Species Management Plan. 38 pages.
- Bravo, M.A. and K.A. Wagner. 2009. Northeastern Weed Science Society Noxious and Invasive Vegetation Short Course. Gretna Glen Retreat, Lebanon, PA. Proc. NEWSS: 62:1
- A. Bravo, et al. 2008. Background paper from the Pennsylvania feral swine task force on the current efforts in Pennsylvania; appendix: Proposed feral swine actions for Pennsylvania. Dept. of Agric., Harrisburg, PA.
- Bravo, M.A. 2008. Data Management Challenges in Regulatory Weed Programs. Proc. WSSA: 48:177.
- Bravo, M.A., et al. 2006. Terrestrial Component of the Pennsylvania Invasive Species Management Plan. Editor, PA Dept. of Agric. Harrisburg, PA.
- Weed Science Society of America Press Releases: 2008: http://wssa.net/2008/05/giant-cousin-of-the-carrot-plagues-backyard-gardeners-with-blisters-and-burns/
- Bravo, M. A. 2002. A survey of triazine resistant common lambsquarters on PA farms. Master of Science Thesis in Agronomy. Penn State University, Dept. of Crop and Soil Sciences, University Park, PA.
Agriculture Columnist/Feature Topic Writer/ Publications:
- Out and About Column: “Crop talk throughout the seasons”. Wellsboro Gazette/JAN2013-JAN2014
- Out and About Column: “Crop talk throughout the seasons”. Williamsport Sun-Gazette/Jan2014-Dec2014
- Agricultural Spotlight Features: Wellsboro Home Page. JAN 2014-CURRENT
- Forage Feature Writer: Progressive Forage Grower Magazine. OCT 2015-CURRENT
- Nature-related Feature Writer: Mountain Home Magazine. OCT 2015-2017
- Agriculture Writer: The Farming Magazine. JAN 2016 – 2017.
Agriculture Correspondent News Publications:
- Lancaster Farming Pennsylvania Edition – Section A. JAN 2014-CURRENT
- Lancaster Farming North Edition – Section A. NOV 2015-CURRENT
- Lancaster Farming – Section B. FEB 2016-2017
Other Presentations: July 2012-Current
- The Soul: To believe or not believe? That is the question. Wellsboro Friday Club research paper presenter. December 2015.
- Guest Lecturer. LongWood Gardens Professional Gardener Program. August 2014; August 2015.
- Keynote Speaker. North-Central Forest and Landowner Association meeting. November 2, 2014.